The Chicago Council on Global Affairs is an independent, nonpartisan membership organization that provides insight – and influences the public discourse – on critical global issues. We convene leading global voices, conduct independent research, and engage the public to explore ideas that will shape our global future. The Council is committed to bringing clarity and offering solutions to issues that transcend borders and transform how people, business, and governments engage the world.
Founded in 1922 and located in the global city of Chicago, the Council on Global Affairs carries out its mission by:
Bringing together leaders in business, government, education, and the arts in international forums and task forces that drive critical dialogue and offer policy-relevant analysis and solutions on a range of global issues, including:
- the rise and influence of global cities in shaping our political, social, and economic lives and in addressing world challenges;
- the importance of advancing global food security and nutrition in the face of urbanization, climate change, and new technologies;
- the challenge posed by a resurgent Russia and how best to ensure security throughout Europe, including strategies to address the incursions in Ukraine;
- the influences and intricacies shaping the global economy;
- the opportunities presented by the energy revolution in the United States and its impact on geo-politics and geo-economics; and
- the leadership role of women in confronting global health challenges.
Publishing independent research and analysis by experts who go beyond traditional thinking on foreign affairs to make new connections for policymakers and the public on issues such as global food and agriculture, cities, economics, energy, immigration, security, and water;
Conducting influential surveys of American public opinion on foreign policy annually, and analyzing changes in attitudes since 1974, when the first Chicago Council Survey was published;
Providing a platform for the public to engage directly with world leaders, policymakers, business executives, journalists, and other leading policy experts at events illuminating global issues and trends;
Positioning the next generation to take a global leadership role through events, programs, and fellowships designed to enhance their global acumen and expand their professional networks; and
Broadening the public discourse by making our events and research digitally accessible from anywhere in the world via our website and social media.
For nearly a century, the Council on Global Affairs has provided a platform for a variety of different voices to promote deeper global understanding and active US engagement in the world. The views expressed by individuals on the Council’s platforms, including this website, are their own – and do not represent the institutional positions or views of the Council on Global Affairs, its members, or its supporters.