Findings of the report include:
- American soft power has taken a hit because of the financial crisis but the United States retains significant advantages over China, including its values and ability to accept international criticism.
- Differences between a U.S. model and a Chinese model of economic growth are overblown.
- The American worldview and philosophy of international order remains popular; the doubts about the United States have to do with its competence. The soft power of multilateralism has increased.
- The countries that can lead effective multilateral solutions will benefit.
- Japan and South Korea will remain key players in the region.
The findings presented in the report, which was released on November 13, 2009, draw from the workshop discussion, but do not necessarily reflect a consensus opinion amongst the workshop participants or the views of any single participant.