Roger Thurow’s upcoming 1,000 days book was handpicked by Food Tank as one of 16 spring “must reads." The book will tell the story of the vital importance of proper nutrition and health care in the 1,000 days window from the beginning of a woman’s pregnancy to her child’s second birthday. Follow Roger’s travels by visiting his website, outrageandinspire.org.
Here is the full list of books recommended by Food Tank:
- Blessing the Hand that Feeds Us: What Eating Closer to Home Can Teach Us About Food, Community, and Our Place on Earth by Vicki Robin
- Browsing Nature’s Aisles: A Year of Foraging for Wild Food in the Suburbs by Wendy Brown and Eric Brown
- Chicken Poop for the Soul: Backyard Adventures by Teri Metcalf
- Consumed: Food for a Finite Planet by Sarah Elton
- Diversifying Food and Diets: Improving Agricultural Biodiversity to Improve Nutrition and Health by Jessica Fanzo, Danny Hunter, Teresa Borelli, and Frederico Mattei
- Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health by Jo Robinson
- Food: an Atlas by Darin Jensen and Molly Roy
- Food and the City: Urban Agriculture and the New Food Revolution by Jennifer Cockrall-King
- The Grazing Revolution: A Radical Plan to Save the Earth by Allan Savory
- Growing A Garden City by Jeremy Smith
- The Farm as Ecosystem by Jerry Brunetti
- The History of Aquaculture by Colin Nash
- The Meat Racket: The Secret Takeover of America’s Food Business by Christopher Leonard
- The Soil Will Save Us: How Scientists, Farmers, and Foodies are Healing the Soil to Save the Planet by Kristin Ohlson
- Grow This! A Garden Expert's Guide to Choosing the Best Vegetables, Flowers, and Seeds So You're Never Disappointed Again by Derek Fell
- 1,000 Days Project by Roger Thurow COMING SOON!
Get The Chicago Council’s FREE Global Food for Thought News Brief delivered to your inbox weekly! Sign up here.