POSITION: Media Relations and Digital Content Officer
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director, Digital Content and Media
Reporting to the assistant director of digital content and media, the media relations and digital content officer is responsible for engaging the media and building relationships with local, national, and international reporters, editors, and commentators. The officer strategically uses media contacts and relations to position the Council as a global thought leader in core areas of focus, specifically American public opinion on US foreign policy, the role of global cities in shaping world affairs, and global food security. The officer also supports the digital content and media team in the creation and dissemination of original content such as op-eds, podcasts, videos, social media, emails, and digital interactives that respond to issues and events driving the news.
- Build relationships with local, national, and international journalists and social media influencers, respond to inquiries, and conduct extensive follow up to support the Council’s mission and work
- Use social media and a variety of digital communication tools to connect with journalists, pitch story ideas, and drive interest in and attention to Council research and events
- Create, maintain, and expand the Council’s media contact database and lists, including traditional, digital, and social influencers
- Write and edit op-eds, commentary, analysis, and blog posts working in collaboration with Council experts
- Prep Council experts for interviews and other media engagements, and conduct media and presentation training
- Write media advisories and press releases and manage media invitations and attendance for Council events
- Track, analyze, and report on the impact of media interactions and engagement
- Monitor news outlets and social media platforms to identify topics and trends to inform the Council’s digital content and assist with creating and disseminating digital content that responds to issues and events driving the news
- Provide other support at Council events approximately 3-4 times monthly, requiring some evening and early morning hours
- Occasionally assist at the front desk to relieve the Reception and Database Services Assistant in meeting/greeting Council constituents and handling incoming calls
- Perform other projects as assigned
- A degree in journalism, communications, or public affairs and 2+ years of media relations, journalism, public affairs, or digital content development experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; knowledge of AP Style and previous writing/editing experience required; knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style a plus.
- Previous experience writing, editing, and pitching foreign policy or global affairs related content and existing relationships with related media contacts.
- Ability to translate complex content—such as policy discussions and research—into timely, relevant content that is valuable to media.
- Ability and interest in using social media and digital content and tools to engage media.
- Superior computer skills, including experience using MS Office and familiarity with online media monitoring tools and web and social media content management systems; Salesforce experience a plus.
- Familiarity with event management and audio/visual requirements for media preferred.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Abilities as a problem solver who shows initiative; works independently and as part of a team; meets deadlines and pays close attention to details; and is flexible and adapts easily to new situation.
The Chicago Council on Global Affairs is an independent, nonpartisan membership organization that provides insight on critical global issues, advances policy solutions, and fosters dialogue on what is happening in the world and why it matters to people in Chicago, the United States, and around the globe.
Please email a cover letter and résumé as Word or PDF documents to email@example.com. Other career opportunities can be found on the Council’s website at www.thechicagocouncil.org. EOE