The Chicago Council on Global Affairs Women and Global Development Forum convenes key domestic and international thought leaders, influencers, and innovators in conjunction with 40+ global strategic partners. The Women and Global Development Forum consists of 6-8 annual programs, the flagship being the Global Health and Development Symposium which convenes key leaders and innovators for a cross-sectoral discussion on the global progress towards gender equality and sustainability.
The global development team also leads food and agriculture programming and works closely with various teams on the Global Food Security Symposium held annually each spring in Washington, DC. More than 60 speakers, 20+ competitively selected Next Generation student delegates, and 400 attendees from around the world gather at this high-profile event to discuss new ideas and solutions for ending global hunger and poverty.
The global development team works closely and across multiple departments including studies, development, and communications. The Intern, Programs: Global Development will work under the direct supervision of the program officer for the global development team.
The Intern performs a variety of tasks on this fast-paced team including:
- Research and identify prospective speakers and assist with correspondence.
- Draft program announcements and panel questions.
- Compile program resources, including digital slides, overview documents, guest lists, name badges, and others.
- Assist with conference calls, database management (Airtable, Salesforce, Cvent) and upkeep, event coordination, and speaker logistics.
- Contribute to developing a cross-platform marketing and promotion strategy to boost event outreach. This includes developing content for Council social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter) and navigating Council databases (Salesforce and Cvent) for audience building and analysis.
- Provide day-of program support including event setup, assistance with audience Q&A, and event breakdown. This includes social media content development including the drafting of tweets, Instagram stories etc.
- Stay well-informed on recent topics, trends, and developments as they relate to global sustainability and gender-centric policy changes, business practices, educational initiatives, and innovations.
- Offer administrative support and tasks as assigned.
All global development interns will also gain exposure to other portfolios by supporting programs in the diplomatic, global cities, global economy and other content areas. Please note that programs occur outside standard business hours, including the following scheduling:
- Breakfast Programs: 6:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- Lunch Programs: 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Evening Programs: 3:45 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Undergraduate sophomore, junior or senior or graduate student.
- Strong research, editing, and writing skills.
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, deadline-drive environment.
- Strong customer service experience preferred.
- Demonstrated interest in global development, gender studies, or international affairs.