IN JEOPARDY? EUROPE AND THE TRANSATLANTIC ALLIANCE
NATO AND THE TRANSATLANTIC ALLIANCE: THE AMERICAN PERSPECTIVE
The Honorable Ivo Daalder, United States Permanent Representative to NATO
In May, the twenty-eight leaders of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) will come to Chicago to explore the best ways to enhance NATO’s ability to defend its members and to ensure the success of future operations. In this time of economic crisis and shrinking budgets, how will NATO maintain its cohesion and its edge? How will it manage the transition in Afghanistan and prepare for new challenges ahead? What will the NATO force look like in 2020? How can the Allies and their partners work together to address new global threats? Join The Chicago Council for a conversation with Ambassador Ivo Daalder on the American perspective on NATO and the agenda of the NATO Summit in Chicago.
The Honorable Ivo Daalder has served as the U.S. permanent representative to NATO since May 2009. Prior to his current position, Ambassador Daalder was a senior fellow in foreign policy studies at the Brookings Institution, specializing in American foreign policy, European security, transatlantic relations, and national security affairs. Previously, he served on President Clinton’s National Security Council Staff from 1995 to 1997 as director for European affairs, and was responsible for coordinating U.S. policy toward Bosnia. He has also written several books, the most recent of which include In the Shadow of the Oval Office: Portraits of the National Security Advisers and the Presidents they Served—From JFK to George W. Bush and America Unbound: The Bush Revolution in Foreign Policy. Daalder was educated at the University of Oxford and Georgetown University, and received a Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Ivo H. Daalder and James G. Stavridis, “NATO's Victory in Libya: The Right Way to Run an Intervention,” Foreign Affairs, 02/02/12
- Carola Hoyos, “NATO to Begin Cyber Security Drive,” Financial Times, 02/28/2012
- Elisabeth Bumiller, “U.S. Will Keep Fighting as Afghans Take the Lead, Panetta Says,” The New York Times, 02/02/2012
- Ivo H. Daalder, “NATO's Finest Hour: The Day the Alliance Stood Up for America,” The Wall Street Journal, 09/12/2011
- Ivo H. Daalder, “Breaking a Brussels Logjam,” The New York Times, 10/18/2010
Additional speaker information:
- Learn more about Ambassador Daalder here
- Follow Ambassador Daalder on Twitter
Join the conversation and follow @ChicagoCouncil on Twitter for live tweets during the program.