THE FUTURE OF CITIES: HOW WE’LL LIVE NEXT
Greg Lindsay, Coauthor, Aerotropolis: The Way We’ll Live Next
Jeanne Gang, Principal and Founder, Studio Gang Architects
Globalization has not only rendered the world flat, but resulted in the growth of aerotropoli from Louisville, Kentucky to New Songdo, Korea. These aerotropoli represent a combination of airport, planned city, shipping facility, and business hub that many argue are the future of cities. Is the global trend towards increased emphasis on sustainability and livability at odds with the concept of airports as our city centers? Join us for a conversation with Greg Lindsay and Jeanne Gang as they discuss what happens when cities are designed or redesigned according to the logic of globalization, and how we will be living in 2020 and beyond.
Greg Lindsay is an author and contributing writer for Fast Company. He is a fellow of the Hybrid Reality Institute, exploring the co-evolution of humans and technology. Lindsay was previously a contributing writer for Fortune and a senior correspondent at Inside.com. He has also written for Bloomberg Businessweek, Business 2.0, Time, Wired, Travel + Leisure, Condé Nast Traveler, I.D., The Guardian, and The Daily Beast. Lindsay received his B.S. from the University of Illinois.
Jeanne Gang is the founder and a principal of Studio Gang Architects. Spanning a variety of types and sizes, her works are connected by their engagement with pressing contemporary issues: chief among them urban density, sustainable infrastructure, and materials technology. Some of her recent projects include the 82-story Aqua Tower in Chicago, the O2 high-rise development in Hyderabad, India, the Lincoln Park Zoo South Pond, and the Northerly Island framework plan. An adjunct professor at the Illinois Institute of Technology and a member of The Chicago Council on Global Affairs’ Emerging Leaders Program, Gang received her B.S. from the University of Illinois and her M.Arch. from Harvard University.
Lindsay’s latest book with co-author, John D. Kasarda, Aerotropolis: The Way We’ll Live Next, and Gang’s latest book, Reveal, will be available for purchase and signing after the program.
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow his blog
- Book Review: “Aerotropolis,” Financial Times, 03/14/2011
- Book Review: “The Cities Of the Plane,” The Wall Street Journal, 03/02/2011
- Lindsay, “Reach for the Skies,” The New York Times, 01/31/2011
- Lindsay, “Port-au-Prince 2.0: A City of Urban Villages?” Fast Company, 01/26/2011
- Lindsay, “Building a Smarter Favela: IMB Signs up Rio,” Fast Company, 12/27/2010
- Lindsay, “The Battle for Control of Smart Cities,” Fast Company, 12/16/2010
- Website of Studio Gang Architects
- Paul Goldberger, “Wave Effect: Jeanne Gang and Architecture’s Anti-Divas,” New Yorker, 02/01/2010
- Pilar Viladas, “The Nifty 50: Jeanne Gang, Architect,” New York Times Magazine, 01/25/2010
- Jonathan Glancey, “Aqua Tower- The Tower That Jeanne Gang Built,” The Guardian, 10/20/2009
- Video: “Architect Jeanne Gang on The Interview Show,” Huffington Post, 11/1/2010